Built in the late 1940’s ‘The Norlands’ is
located in the popular North Bay of Scarborough and has fourteen guest rooms,
dining room, lounge and bar spread over three floors. However, because of the
layout, age and structure of the building people who have mobility issues may
find difficulty with the elevated front entrance and also the location of all
the guest rooms as they are located on the upper floors and have to be accessed
via flights of stairs. We aim to cater for the needs of all our visitors and the
following statement is a summary of our provision. If you have any specific
questions please feel free to contact us and we will endeavour to help.
- Contact can be made by telephone, e-mail or in person. Please see the contact information section of this document.
- Our website provides full information of all services we provide including room photographs.
- Letters and menus can be provided in large print if required. We regret we cannot offer standard brochures in large print or documents in Braille.
- The nearest local bus stop is less than two hundred metres away with a fredquent service to the town cenre.
- Scarborough railway station is our closest, this is approximately one mile away and can be reached by local bus or taxi, which we can book for you in advance.
- There are a number of varied shops within walking distance, these include a chemist, bakers, post office, supermarket and laundrette.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- Please advise us of your anticipated arrival time so that we can be here to welcome you.
- To ensure your accommodation is ready we ask that guests do not normally arrive before 2.00pm. However,it may be possible to arrive earlier by prior arrangement.
- Parking is available in front of the building on Weydale Avenue, or alternatively on our tarmac drive that runs up to the right-hand side of the house, this driveway slopes steeply towards the road.
- To access the gardens from the road involves a flight of ten steps each being 16cm high, or alternatively from the driveway by three steps each being 18cm high.
- From the garden to the front door there are another five steps ,each being 20cm, with a metal handrail both on the left and right.
- We can assist guests with luggage if required.
Main Entrance & Reception
- There is a 15cm high step into the main entrance.
- The front door is normally locked but we do have a bell push located on the left-hand side of the door frame.
- There is a second bell on the reception desk, ten metres from the front door. This can be used at any time during your visit if assisstance is needed.
Public Areas – General (Internal)
- As previously described the house has been built over three floors, with access to all floors from a pair of staircases, each flight of stairs consists of 16 steps of 16cm in height. There are no lifts or stair lifts fitted in the building.
- The floor covering in all the corridors and on the stairs consists of short pile carpet whilst all areas have a good colour cantrast and are well lit.
- Doorways into the rooms are a mixture of wood and glass panelled. Most are open throughout the day, significant doors are fitted with automatic door closures to comply with fire regulations.
Public Areas – WC
- All our bedrooms are en-suite, there are no other public WC’s in the building.
Public Areas – Dining Room
- Breakfast and dinner is served in the dining room located on the ground floor, there are no steps. Guests help themselves to the breakfast buffet counter, assistance is available on request. Dinner is served to diners at their tables.
- Underfoot there is a laminate floor covering, the furniture layout is flexible and can be moved to suit the room and combinations of guests staying. The chairs do not have arms.
- Special diets and allergies can be catered for with prior arrangement. Vegetarian and gluten-free meals are always available.
Public Areas – Lounge
- Also located on the ground floor with no steps, this area is covered with a short pile carpet.
- Around three sides of the room there is an upholstered bench, the remaing cane table and chairs can be moved to suit guest requirements.
- A larger television with teletext is available in this room.
- We are licenced for the sale of alcohol.
Public Areas – Bedrooms
- All bedrooms are on the 1st and 2nd floors, access to these rooms is via the staircases. There are no steps into any bedroom.
- Every bedroom is fitted with a smoke detector/alarm bell.
- All rooms have a standard double or single beds (bunk beds in the family rooms), with clear access from the bed to the bedroom door. The floors are coivered in short pile carpeting.
- Bedroom televisions have teletext, digital freeview and remote controls.
- Hot drink trays are provided with a kettle that has a maximum mark for filling, some are cordless.
- The en-suites offer a comfortable freedom of movement but bathroom sizes vary from room to room. They are fitted with either a bath or shower cubical, a toilet, hand basin, shelving and towel rail.
- The en-suite floors are covered either in ceramic floor tiles or waterproof laminate boards.
Grounds & Gardens
- We have a small garden to the front of the building which overlooks the sea, once out of the house this space is reasonably level with concreted paths, lawned areas with flower borders.
- At the side of the building we have raised south facing decking area, this is accessed by five 15cm steps.
- Tables and chairs are available for guests in both areas, ashtrays can be provided upon request.
- The Norlands has a fully detailed fire assessment.
- An integral fire alarm system is installed throughout the building.
- The fire exits are all well signed with emergency lighting on all landings and stairs. Fire extinguishers and breakglass alarm points are located at the end of each passageway.
- Fire escape routes are all accessed by stairs, front exit via through the front door using the main staircases and the to rear by two outer sets of steel steps. The assembly point for guests is on the grassed area to the front of the building.
- Whilst the fire alarm is tested weekly for adequate noise attention, please advise us on arrival if you might require assistance should the building require evacuating e.g. hearing imparement, mobility issues.
- Smoking is prohibited throughout the building by law.
- Assisstance dogs are welcome.
- We are happy to refridgerate medications should this be neccessary.
- Mobile phone reception is generally good.
- Address: The Norlands, Weydale Avenue, Scarborough, North Yorkshire. YO12 6BA
- Telephone number: 01723 362606
- Hours of operation: Closed December to February, hours are flexible to buisiness. The Norlands is our home, so therefore, occupied 24 hours per day.
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve, if you have any comments please do not hesitate to contact us.